Thursday, February 13, 2014

Seek ye first

"But strive first for the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own. Today’s trouble is enough for today." (Matthew 6:33-34 NRSV)

As we think about the church's engagement in the digital age, I keep coming back to this verse above. I think that as we ask questions like "how will we react to the increasing mobility of the world?" or "how will we as pastors react to people who connect primarily over Facebook", I can't help but think they are similar to questions like, "what will we eat, or what will we drink, or what will we wear?"
What is a healthy amount of energy to spend thinking about the future? How much should we really be worried about how connected we think the world will be in the year 2020?
So much can happen in six years time.

It is hard to only think about today because of how quickly things change in our present culture. We are always looking forward, whether it be to the next gadget, or the announcment of the next iPhone, or the announcement of the invitation to the event where the next iPhone will be announced.
Despite the exponential growth of computing power, increasing users of social media and the internet, I think Christ call remains for us to seek first the kingdom of God, today. While today's culture demands that we are anticipating what is to come, I think that virtual or not, the only reality that exists is the present.

2 comments:

  1. So how do we seek God in the present and how do we help others seek God, find community and discover what God is calling them to be and do? Seeking God is linked to connecting with God and what God is doing in the world. Why do we do this and how we do this is more than eating, drinking and dressing...it is seeking, saving and connecting. John 3:16-17 - how are we living an incarnational ministry today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that we need to live and appreciate the present, however, I think we need to prepare for what is to come and how we as evangelist will be effective in doing ministry. Do you believe that scripture wants us to not prepare for times to come? Our are we suppose wait till it gets here to make the changes?

    ReplyDelete